What should you look for in metal roofing? Here are a few of the keys to your search for quality, value, and integrity.
1. Integrity of the metal roofing company: What does Angie’s List and the Better Business Bureau have to say about them? Are they even listed on both? What kind of testimonials can you obtain from the company and how strong are they? Can you call the manufacturer of the metal roofing product to find out if the company is a quality installer?
2. Experience of the crews: How many roofs has the company installed? Can they provide you with a strong list of addresses that you can visit to see their work?
3. Quality materials: Look for Kynar 500® PVDF resin-based finished, steel based materials, not stone coated (for many reasons we’ll be glad to discuss with you) or easily dented aluminum materials. If you’re considering standing seam, note the same things as above and look at the crispness of the formation of the ribs and gauge of the steel. Are the ends crimped in the sample to make it more rigid, or does it feel rock solid and strong without any crimped ends? There’s a HUGE variance of quality when it comes to standing seam panels. Compare ours to any others and you’ll see a major difference every time.
4. Does the company representative have a metal roof on their own home, or don’t they believe their own products enough to use it themselves?
5. Does the warranty cover fading and loss of surface coating or does it only cover the material if it’s penetrated? Please note, there’s not a stone coated material on the market that covers granule loss or color fading, nor is there one that provides a true”lifetime” period of coverage like other non-granular roofing materials often do.
6. Did the sales representative leave a material brochure and warranty with you, or are they ashamed of it? We believe in complete disclosure and full transparency. This is a MAJOR decision for most homeowners. Would you buy a car if you didn’t at least have a chance to see the warranty in print or have a brochure to take home/place to see it online?
7. Did the sales representative quote a price that seemed absurdly high and offer to discount if you “buy today”? We consider this an insult to your intelligence and know from experience that the discounted price is still higher than our regular price every time. This is old school, used car salesmanship that stopped being acceptable decades ago.
Distinctive Metal Roofing has won awards for installation expertise and overall integrity. Please talk to us before you make a move you’ll regret for as long as you own your home. Our honest, straight-forwaard, consultative approach will help you make a decision that’s right for you.
Kynar 500® is a registered trademark belonging to Arkema Inc.