Having attended recent home and garden shows while posing as a potential customer to the very few companies that did metal roofing as part of their business, I learned that potential metal roofing buyers are bombarded with a wealth of misinformation. From the inaccurate statement that “metal roofing is noisy” to warranty claims that don’t match those of the manufacturer, homeowners walk away not knowing that the information they’ve been given is simply not accurate.
The interesting fact is that some companies that do metal roofing as a small part of their larger asphalt roofing business are looking to erase metal roofing from your mind any way they can. Why, you ask, would these companies talk down about metal roofing? The answers are simple:
- Metal roofing requires skill sets typical asphalt roofers don’t possess. Asphalt teams often consist of pick-up subcontractors who haven’t worked together before but know how to do asphalt roofing. If a company attempted to install metal roofing using the same methods they use to install asphalt roofing, the job wouldn’t be done properly and they’d lose money because it took much longer than it should have which would ultimately force them out of the business of metal roofing.
- Asphalt roofers have the old school mentality that they want repeat business from you. They want to be your “favorite roofer” for many years to come. We want to be your favorite metal roofer for years to come as well, but we know we are unlikely to see you again because you won’t need us for anything. Our roofs are permanent “last roofs that you’ll ever buy” that last for more than 60 years. While we hope to see you again, it won’t be because you need a metal roof again.
Ask the right questions…
So, as with all consumer transactions, “buyer beware” applies heavily to roofing contractors. Ask the right questions such as the following:
- How are you rated by the Better Business Bureau?
- Can I read reviews about your business on Angie’s List?
- How many roofs have you installed?
- What percentage of your business revolves around metal roofing?
- How long have you been installing metal roofs?
- Where can I see some of your work?
- Who can I talk to about your work?
- What warranty do you offer on your workmanship and what does the manufacturer offer on their product?
- Is your crew solely dedicated to metal roofing or are they pick up teams that haven’t necessarily installed a metal roof before?
When you talk with us at Distinctive Metal Roofing, you’ll realize you’re working with metal roofing experts. We do what we say, when we say and we’ll always give you honest, factual answers. We promise!